Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Listen To Signals Your Body Sends You: How You Respond To Certain Foods.By Veeraj Goyaram



 Nutrition Advice
Listen To Signals Your Body Sends You: How You Respond To Certain Foods.
By Veeraj Goyaram
 Sorry for this long drought of articles on Bodybuilding Mauritius and South Africa. As most of you know I am now working on a full-time basis in the field of nutritional supplements research & development. I am giving my full time and attention to what you may already guess is my DREAM JOB. However, please rest assured that I will still be posting articles, which will often be short and concise.

Today I would like to share something with you from personal experience.

Listen to your body!

Always pay attention to how you feel after eating certain foods. Take good note for yourself and, if you are working with a nutritional advisor, inform the latter of the same so that he suggests some alternatives. I have noted, especially past the age of 30 (getting old, I know), that I:

(a) Don't respond well to dairy. While I could gulp down 1 liter of milk anytime of the day at age 25, now I have issues if I drink more than 250ml per at one go. This is due to lactose. I have developed lactose intolerance because my body is not producing enough lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose (milk sugar). Therefore, the lactose remains in my gut and bacteria are more than happy to feast on them (fermentation), giving rise to products that cause loose stools, bloating and abdominal pain (Figure 1). This is a pity because I love milk and dairy products. I will be moving towards lactose free milk.
Scientific depiction of lactose intolerance
(b) Cannot tolerate whey concentrate powders anymore. Again, this is due to their content of lactose. I explained in a past article that whey concentrates contain lactose. While whey concentrate is a great cost-effective source of protein for those having no issues with lactose, for me it just doesn't work anymore. I have made the expensive switch to whey isolates and hydrolysates. 

(c) Get bloated like crazy on Oats, bread and grains. I eat just four slices of bread and a few minutes later I look pregnant. I never had these issues before and I could down an entire pack of Sasko bread slices and several packs of Ramen noodles (dried noodles) in one sitting and still hit a vacuum pose later. However, I do very fine on any type of rice, white and sweet potatoes and fruits. Fibrous carbs go down very well also. Grains don't agree with me anymore. Now, this bothers me a great deal as I may not be able to enjoy an entire "Tempo" (pressure cooker) of broad beans (Carri gros pois a.k.a. "curry big weights") with roti when I go to Mauritius on holidays again. Mari kas nissa.
Not for me, unfortunately
Hard to resist
(d) No soy too. I have experimented with soy, soy chunks and soy protein isolates as a source of cheap protein. Don't feel good on them. Experiment to see if you do or don't.
I say no to soy and soy products because they don't agree with me

(e) Stuff my body likes. I do way better on animal sources of protein like meat, eggs and fish.

Always note down signals that your body sends you.

Note: not everyone will have issues with the above. I am not saying that all of you need to or will eventually have to eliminate the above foods. Some of you may down them like there is no tomorrow and report no issues whatsoever.


Join us for discussions on our facebook group
Free advice & daily bodybuilding talk
Your #1 Bodybuilding destination in Mauritius 


My Bio: I am a Mauritian originally from Roche Bois, Port Louis and now based in Cape Town, South Africa where I work as a research and development consultant (product developer) for the nutritional supplements and functional foods company. I did my postgraduate studies in molecular biology of exercise, looking at the influence of nutrition and exercise in gene expression in muscle. My research is relevant and applicable to exercising individuals, sports persons and diabetic individuals. The knowledge that I share with you stems from my 18 years of experience in bodybuilding and 8 years of university education in the field. I have also published work in the American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism (2012, 2014), International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism (2013) and co-authored two book chapters on exercise and diabetes. I also presented my research work at the 2012 International Sports and Exercise Nutrition Conference (UK).
______________________________________________________________________________
©,2014 Veeraj Goyaram, Bodybuilding Mauritius. Any reprinting in any type of media is prohibited.
Disclaimer: The Content on this site is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. BODYBUILDING MAURITIUS is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties.  Correspondence: vicgoyaram@gmail.com
_______________________________________________________________________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment