Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Exercise focus: Back hyperextensions and cable triceps extensions. By Veeraj Goyaram

exercise focus: BACK HYPEREXTENSIONS and cable triceps extensions
By Veeraj Goyaram

This exercise can be a great addition to a hardcore back routine. Even Dorian Yates could be seen performing weighted hyperextensions in his Blood & Guts video. Hyperextensions work the spinal erectors very well, a muscle which can add more strength to "bigger" exercises movements like squats, deadlifts, standing shoulder presses etc. There is debate on whether it can help develop the "christmas tree" muscles but, however, I have seen many people with great christmas trees performing hyperextensions as this taught them "back control" which can be interpreted as an ability to contract the back better in poses.
Dorian Yates performed weighted
hyperextensions

Do not swing your body on the bench, keep the tension constant and maintain a deep peak contraction on the back at the top of the movement. Feel the lower back. Weights can be added once the technique has been mastered, in the form on a barbell plate, a dumbbell in front of your body or behind your neck. Don't take my word for anything, experiment yourself to see what's more comfortable and what works best for you.

Additional tips:
"I dont have a hyperextension machine, i use Swiss ball to do it. On swiss ball there is not swing no jerking and also no knee and neck hyper extension. Those who have knee meniscal tear , should be very careful with the hyperextension bench ,it’s important to adjust the footplate so that the knee is not hyperextended."
Omar Patel, Bodybuilding Mauritius facebook page admin and strength & conditioning trainer



Triceps kneeling cable extensions


I have received many messages asking to share some of my “secrets” for triceps. The truth is that I don’t have any secrets but in my arsenal I have a few exercises and some old-school tactics that have produced good results for me and others I have suggested these to.

The Triceps kneeling cable extensions of Vince Gironda.

1. Kneeling and keeping forearms and head on the bench ensure that you don’t move your elbows above the head to cheat (as many people tend to do). Keep elbows close to the head, near the ears. Remember, elbows should not take off from the bench. I have seen on myself that when I take a narrow grip it hits my lateral head more. I have experienced using a wider grip and seen more emphasis on the triceps long head.

2. Get a full contraction and a full stretch. I like to maintain the peak contraction for 2-3 seconds. Ensure that the range of motion is big enough. Do not pile on the weights that will allow you to only move a few inches.

3. Use both ropes and bars. Feel free to experiment and add variety.

4. When you have mastered the technique you can do these standing.

Additional tips:
"I do a similar movement without weight. I put an E-Z curl bar on a rack, midway between waist and chest level. Then take a narrow grip and lean forward until your head is below your hands. Then just push off, extending your arms. It's my favorite finishing movement for triceps.". John Zanoya, veteran bodybuilder from Wisconsin, USA


My Bio: I am a Mauritian originally from Roche Bois, Port Louis and now based in Cape Town, South Africa where I am busy with my postgraduate studies in molecular biology of exercise. My research, supervised by Prof. Edward Ojuka and Dr. Tertius Kohn, looks at the influence of nutrition and exercise in gene expression in muscle, research which is relevant and applicable to exercising individuals, sports persons and diabetic individuals. The knowledge that I share with you stems from my 18 years of experience in bodybuilding and 8 years (and counting) of university education in the field. I have also published work in the American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism (2012, 2014), International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism (2013) and co-authored two book chapters on exercise and diabetes. I also presented my research work at the 2012 International Sports and Exercise Nutrition Conference (UK). I am grateful to each and everyone at the UCT Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine. "Knowledge without sharing is worth nothing"
------------------------------------------
Join us for discussions on our facebook group
Free advice & daily bodybuilding talk
Your #1 Bodybuilding destination in Mauritius 

_________________________________________________________________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment